The wider area of Slovenske Konjice was researched as early as the 19th century by several well-known and renowned geologists and paleontologists (A. Morlot, M. V. Lipold, D. Stur, R. Hoernes, F. Teller and later Kühn). In 1933, Dr Ivan Rakovec wrote several articles on the Stranice corals. In the second half of the 20th century, experts from the Geological Survey of Slovenia implemented several mappings there, while Ksenija Križman collected and studied a number of large and microscopic fossils in the area around Stranice. The already collected rich fossil fauna, corals and rudist shells were later professionally processed by the academicians Dr Dragica Turnšek and Prof Dr Mario Pleničar. They also extended their research to the newly collected fossil material, gathered by Franc Pajtler from Pragersko between 1980 and 2002 in a quarry north of Stranice on the southern slope of Straniška brda. With the aid of this material, the two academicians were able to determine more accurately the age and stratigraphic breakdown of the local limestones.
The Stranice quarry runs along the Slovenske Konjice-Vitanje road, from the Church of St. Lovrenc at Stranice to the village of Lipa. Here, the unlayered and tectonically crushed Middle Triassic dolomite is exploited as a technical building stone. Some time ago, the limestone in the small ridge, which was built by rudist bivalves, was also exploited above the Stranice Church. In this area, the patches of limestone occur only as erosional remnants of chalk strata, between which occur laterally interposed layers of marl with insets of coal clays, coal and marly limestone. Colonial and individual corals were found in these layers. Apart from bivalves and corals, skeletal elements of sponges, remains of snails, ostracods, bryozoans, algae, foraminifera and, on the western side close to the Lipa village, even fragments of fish and crocodile tooth, as well as tubular dinosaur bones, were discovered in the Stranice quarry. They were found by Franc Pajtler in 1999 and later examined and identified by Dr Irena Debeljak.