During the Second World War and for some years following, the Garden was essentially left unattended. Until 1947 Bois de Chesne payed monthly stipends for at least minimal care, and Anton Tožbar and Ančka Kavs tended it to the best of their abilities. But the tempest of the war showed no mercy to Juliana. Some plants perished, while others found a better site in neighbouring beds, and the Karst species luxuriated as they loved the dry, sunny slope of Mt Kukla. In early 1947, before the littoral was annexed to the new Yugoslavia, the Bureau of nature conservation and science of the institute of cultural monuments and natural wonders of Slovenia took the Garden into its care to save it from further deterioration. Botanists from the Forestry Institute and the Natural Science Museum of Slovenia, of Ljubljana, immediately began its restoration. The botanists began to organize expeditions and carry plants to the Garden, while Anton Tožbar repaired the paths, and fixed the fence and troughs. Meanwhile, Ančka Kavs tended the beds and gathered seeds.
Maintanance by Museum
In 1954 the professional management of Juliana was assumed by the Slovenian Museum of Natural History of Ljubljana. Its director, the botanist Dr. Angela Piskernik, has worked through the entire post-war period to renew Juliana, to tend and protect it carefully. By a government decree issued by the Committee for education and culture of the People's Republic of Slovenia, published in the Official gazette of 19 June 1951, Juliana was protected as a natural wonder of great significance to natural science and tourism, with international importance for its valley, mountain, subalpine and alpine floras.