Herbarium is a collection of dried and systematically arranged plants. The term comes from the Latin: the word Herba means flower. Herbaria are intended for learning and research.
Older herbarium collections are a part of our cultural heritage, a part of the history of botanical science in our country. We could investigate the botanical memories of the country.
Old hermarium collections are maintained by Slovenian Museum of Natural History. They cover about 50,000 herbarium halfs. Among them is the oldest known herbarium in the Slovenia (from 1696) and edited by doctor Janez Baptist Flysser from Ljutomer.
Herbarium collections from the second half of the 18th century and 19th century sprint classic collection of individual sheets or halves on which the dried plants are usually attached. They are equipped with labels whit at least the Latin name of the species. Slovenian Museum of Natural History holds a collection of many naturalists who gathered plants in our country. Valuable collections are the collections of: Hacquet Balthasar, Karl Zois, France Hladnik, Henrik Freyer, Valentin Plemel and many others.
Particularly interesting are exsiccata (dried) herbarium collections, which were published in several copies and had printed labels. Author or editor of the collection has sent the halves in Centuria, 100 together. In such collections several botanists were involved. One of the first collections of tis type was German-dried flora (Flora Germanica exsiccata), which was created in the years from 1830 to 1845. It covers 2600 halves and in the formation of the collection Carniolan (Slovenian) botanists participated. Slovenian Museum of Natural History holds one of the few complete copies of this famous collection.
1. Herbarium W. Voss (Fungi).....77 maps
2. Herbarium S. Robic (Algae).....3 maps
3. Herbarium S. Robic (Lichenes).....16 maps
4. Herbarium S. Robic (Fungi).....8 maps
5. Herbarium S. Robic (Musci).....2 maps
6. Herbarium S. Robic - V. Plemel (Lichenes).....1 map
7. Herbarium S. Robic - V. Plemel (Fungi).....1 map
8. Herbarium J. Šafer (Lichenes).....5 maps
9. Herbarium J. Šafer (Musci).....8 maps
10. Herbarium V. Lindtner.....1 mapa
11. Flora exsiccata Austro-Hungarica (Fungi).....2 maps
12. Sea algae from Novo Mesto high school.....1 map
13. Unknown fungi (without autor).....1 map
14. Fungi europaei (?).....1 map
15. Fungi (in matches' boxes).....10 boxes
16. Fungi models of H. Arnold.....13 boxes